What is an automatic transmission?
An automatic transmission is a multi-speed transmission, used in vehicles that have done away with driver input to change gears.
What are the parts of an Automatic Transmission?
The parts include a transmission, axle, and differential.
- The common automatic transmission is hydraulic.
- It uses a planetary gearset, hydraulic controls, and a torque converter.
- The other types of automatic transmissions are continuously variable transmissions (CVT), automated manual transmissions (AMT), dual-clutch transmissions (DCT) and electronic automatic transmission (EAT) which is also called electrically controlled transmission.
What is its function?
- The function of an automatic transmission is to allow the engine to operate at its controlled speed while supporting a wide range of output speeds.
- The gear ratio allows the car to travel at its selected speed from a low to a high and high to a low.
- The transmission uses sensors to shift gears effectively, to use the engine torque ensuring that the engine works at its appropriate speed.
- When the vehicle drives or tows heavy objects, the transmissions get heated, and the transmission oil is burnt out. Therefore, choose your vehicle carefully as a car performing these tasks would wear out quickly.
- Manual transmission locks and unlocks gears to the output shaft to achieve various gear ratios.
- The automatic transmission displays the same set of gears producing different ratios.
A closer look inside the automatic transmission
A planetary gearset is of the size of a cantaloupe and the point that manages all transmission ratios.
The planetary gearset has three main components:
- The sun gear.
- The planet gears.
- The ring gear.
Each of these components acts as input, output and is held stationary.
A set of bands lock parts and a set of three wet plate clutch lock a part of the gearset.
The hydraulic system controls the clutch and brands and is curiously built.
A large gear pump moves the transmission fluid.
Planetary Gearset Ratios
Compound Planetary Gearset
- This gearset can produce all different ratios without engaging or disengaging any other gear.
- Three gearsets are in a row, fourth is a forward gear and one reverse gear.
- It looks like a single planetary gearset but acts like a combined two planetary gearset.
- With one ring gear which is the output of the transmission, it also has two sun gears and two sets of planets.
- The right planet does not engage the ring gear and engages the other planet. The left planet engages the ring gear.
- Inside the planet carrier, the smaller sun gear is engaged by shorter gears and longer planets are engaged by bigger sun gear and the smaller planets.
What to check when buying a used Automatic transmission for sale – Online
- Check for delayed engagement when shifting gears.
- Switch on the gears and listening to the sound. If the transmission is making chuckling sounds when gears are switched, it is a bad sign.
- Slippage is another major concern. If you press the gas and the engine makes noise, and the tachometer climbs without the car accelerating, the transmission is slipping.
- Keep these considerations whether you are purchasing a c6 transmission for sale, turbo 350 transmission for sale or turbo 400 transmission for sale.
Why trust Big Mouth Direct?
- Big Mouth Direct is a reliable used auto part online store that believes in serving customers with integrity.
- In the business since 1975, customers are loyal to them as they sell fully checked and authentic parts.
- Their knowledge in car parts makes them a pro in the business, their technicians ensure thorough testing of each part.
- Order from Big Mouth Direct for low shipping cost and quick delivery.
- Big Mouth Direct stands by customers till they are fully satisfied. .
- Order automatic transmissions online from https://bigmouthdirect.com/ or call (844) 205-7332.